Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Brown Bear Series: The Red Bird


Brown Bear, Brown Bear, what do you see? I see a red bird looking at me!  Our second animal in the series is the red bird made of a diamond and triangles. I designed this project myself and it goes together very quickly.  You can make one pattern for yourself and cut out a class set of diamonds and triangles on the paper cutter. 

To make the pattern I cut a standard 12"x18" piece of red construction paper in quarters, resulting in four 6"x9" rectangles.  To make the diamond template I folded one rectangle in quarters, opened it up and drew dots on each folded edge, then connected the dots with diagonal lines to make a perfect diamond.  I cut this template out on the paper cutter and it gives you one diamond body and four triangle wings.  Use this template to cut out a class set using several papers at a time.  You will have lots of extra triangles, but these can be used for another project.


Then, using a strip of yellow paper, cut little triangles for the bird's beak.


Students can easily construct this project and personalize it by drawing eyes, feathers, or whatever they think their bird should have.

No comments:

Post a Comment